Parker Jordan Centennial Open Space Amenities
More than 107 acres of formerly private open space land along Cherry Creek
in the City of Centennial was purchased in September 2009. Some of this
open space was homesteaded in 1864 and will open for the first time to
hikers, runners, cyclists, naturalists and other outdoors enthusiasts.
The site, to be known as Parker Jordan Centennial Open Space, will provide
one of the last missing pieces of a permanent regional trail in a 40-mile
stretch from Confluence Park in lower downtown Denver to Castlewood Canyon
State Park in Douglas County.
The Parker Jordan Metropolitan District acquired the property in two
separate transactions. The first in September, 2009 for $2.18 million from
the family of Joanne Dransfeldt Fetters and John Fetters Jr., which has
owned and farmed the land since 1939. The property annexed by Centennial
in 2006, was for 80 acres and the remaining 27 acres was acquired in
On October 15, 2010 the City of Centennial became partners with the
District by buying into one-half ownership of all 107 acres. This created
the new name for the property now known as the Parker Jordan Centennial
Construction the Amenities commenced in September, 2011 and includes
signage, secondary trails (concrete and crusher fines), landscaping
buffers, and gathering areas. Construction was completed and officially
dedicated and opened to the public on August 4, 2012.